What: Clean Energy Ministerial side event – “Energy transformation and regional integration of power systems”
When: Wednesday, September 11, 15:00 to 19:00
Where: Capital suite #7 at the WEC24 venue (Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre)
Who: Open to all WEC participants
Find out more here.
At the invitation of the UAE government, the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) Secretariat in collaboration with CEM work streams is organising a side event in the margins of the WEC24. The CEM will showcase six of its areas of work that focus on power systems transformation. During this event, CEM work streams will offer their perspectives on regional integration of power systems, each focusing on those aspects and angles that are central to their area of work. The UAE government is actively engaged in these CEM work streams and will offer its national and regional perspectives.
The following work streams will be featured at and will contribute to this event:
- Regional and Global Energy Interconnection Initiative (led by China)
- Nuclear Innovation: Clean Energy Future Initiative (NICE-Future) (led by Canada, japan and the USA)
- Long-Term Energy Scenarios Campaign (led by Denmark and Germany)
- Power System Flexibility Campaign (led by China, Denmark, Germany, India and Sweden)
- Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage Initiative (led by Norway, Saudi Arabia and the USA)
- 21st Century Power Partnership Initiative (led by India and Mexico)
HE Matar El Neyado, the UAE’s Under Secretary of Energy, and Christian Pilgaard Zinglersen, Head of the CEM Secretariat, will open the event, kicking off a wide range of discussions that will include:
- The role of long-term planning and how regional integration scenarios better inform national level long-term energy scenarios and vice-versa
- Policy issues regarding grid infrastructure and regional interconnection at large jurisdictions to integrate renewable energy
- Regional integration and power system flexibility
- The role of nuclear and renewable energy interplay on a regional scale
- The need for CCUS and opportunities for the CEM’s CCUS initiative, in particular in the Gulf region.
For more information please contact Ellina Levina, Partnerships Manager at the CEM Secretariat at Ellina.email@example.com